Subject: Re: sendmail question
To: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/18/1997 18:23:53
On Sat, 18 Oct 1997, tcjam wrote:

> I'm not sure I fully understand what your trying to do, but would virtual
> hosting suit your needs? I've recently set up my system to map
> user@netbsd.box to user@isp.com for my outgoing mail on some of my local
> accounts. It's far better than the alias file imho.

I'd love to do virtual hosting, but unfortunately, I'd have to spend weeks
begging the cc to add the domain name to the nameserver.  I'm considering
begging for a subdomain, but... I'm not holding my breath.  ;-)

One response suggested removing the w flag from the local mailer (must
have been a MkLinux user) and replacing the local mailer with a program
that first checks to see if it's a local mailer and if so uses the normal
local mailer, otherwise does its thing (in this case, procmail).  Under
MkLinux, there's a w flag in the mailer definition, and that apparently
controls checking of the validity of the address.  This isn't there under
NetBSD.  Curiously, NetBSD's version doesn't appear that much older,
though I'm a little confused about the version numbers...  NetBSD's is
8.8.5/8.6.11, while my MkLinux box uses 8.8.6/8.8.7.  What's that second
number?  Anyway, I think it's upgrade time for laptop....

I've gotten partial success with this... now I just need to be able to
bounce for invalid users.  This appears to be done by sendmail checking
the return value of the local mailer.  Now to figure out what to
return....  :-)

Thanks all,
David