Subject: Kernel compile options?
To: <>
From: Glen Stewart <netbsd@associate.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/18/1997 20:55:28
HI,

I'm trying my hand at compiling a custom kernel, and wonder about some options I've seen around the net for Netbsd...

I'd appreciate the time anyone takes to explain these.  Maybe the results can be put in the FAQ for kernel building?

Thanks!

Are there any pro's to using these?  Gene had them in his...
options         SWAPPAGER               # Pager for processes
options         DEVPAGER                # Pager for devices (mapped devices)

Is this supported and beneficial for us?
#options        DUMMY_NOPS      # Sometimes results in a faster machine

Gene used this, but I don't understand the use
# Filesystem options
#options         UNION           # Union filesystem

FAST is my favorite word, but so is STABLE.  Is FASTLINKS good?
#options        FASTLINKS       # Fast symbolic links in FFS

On a single-family system, can we survive without this?
#options        QUOTA           # fast filesystem with user and group quotas

Again, is Netatalk built-in to the OpenBSD 2.1 kernel???
options         NETATALK

# Networking options
Is there a requirement for 4.2 support anymore?
#options        TCP_COMPAT_42   # compatibility with 4.2BSD TCP/IP

Is this used if the same box is known by more than one domain name, or is it
used for something else?
#options        GATEWAY         # IP packet forwarding

I'm thining this isn't required...
#options        IPFILTER        #

What about COMPAT_44?  How long do we have to maintain backwards compatibility?
options         COMPAT_43       # 4.3 BSD compatible system calls
#options        COMPAT_42       # 4.2 BSD compatible system calls
#options        NS              # Xerox XNS
#options        NSIP            # XNS over IP

# Mac-specific options
#options        HWDIRECT        # must be a Quadra option ?

Is this kernel option still used?  Does it help speed of normal C execution?
options         FPCOPROC        # Support for MC6888[1,2]

Why are these needed?
options         COMPAT_NOMID    # allow nonvalid machine id executables
options         COMPAT_SUNOS    # support to run Sun (m68k) executables

Is the IIci cache support unstable/experimental?
options         DISABLE_EXT_CACHE # Don't use IIci external cache

Is RAM-based driver considered more efficient or stable?
#options        MRG_ADB           # Use ROM-based ADB driver