Subject: Re: AFS Kerberized telnetd
To: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/18/1997 11:30:04

> On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Dan Heller wrote:
>
> > Ever since I installed the AFS kerberos telnetd that was advertised a few
> > weeks ago, i have been having slightly weird problems.  Whenever I telnet
> > to my machine, it acts sorta like I never logged in.  I think that it is
> > not writing to /var/log/wtmp.  If I run last, the connection does not
> > show, and if i run lastlogin, It says that my last login was on 10/6,
> > which I know is not true since I am currently connected.  finger, who,
> > and uptime all say that there is no one logged on.  If i connect using
> > ftp, it records the connection like normal.
> >
> > Anyways, is it not set up correctly?  Am I missing an option to telnetd?
> > Or is it broken?
> >

> Dan -
>
> That's very strange, all I can tell you is that I have had no problems -
> However, I am not using a kerberized telnetd - Are you trying to do an
> authenticated telnet to your machine from others? In the AFS environment,
> that would require compiling a kerberized telnet daemon and requesting a
> kerberos instance from advisor - I am using kerberos only for secure
> telnet out and authenticated zephyr. To the best of my knowledge, this is
> all that the sources on my machine are good for.

Our telnetd will accept an incoming session. I'm using it on the 486
in my lab. There's no need of AFS-ification of telnetd. I typically
log in w/ a telnet -ax and it's fine. Also, I'm showing up in my
wtmp file. I'm not sure why Dan isn't.

The place we have a problem is in actually generating a srvtab. _That_
we don't do right. I had to generate the srvtab on a different computer
(a pmax running ultrix) and ftp it over. I've gotten diffs and suggestions
from some folks at OpenBSD, but haven't had a chance to spiff them up
for inclusion in the tree. I'm sorry that they won't make 1.3.

Take care,

Bill