Subject: Re: NetBSD doesn't come up on my LC520
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1997 23:15:09
Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com> wrote:

>Mitsuru Arai wrote:
>>
>> NetBSD 1.2.1 does not work on my LC520.
>>
>> Please, tell me what is wrong.
>
>This is because NetBSD 1.2.1 does not support your machine.  (If you take
>a look at the NetBSD 1.2 page on www.netbsd.org, you'll notice no mention
>of the LC520.  The only support added for 1.2.1 is for the LC II and LC
>III).

Colin,

I think the NetBSD 1.2 page is incorrect on support of this machine.  I
seem to recall helping someone (Josh Meyer?) get it running in the post
1.1 days.  It's not really much different from my P-550 system (one ROM
address is different) and we were able to identify this and build a
working GENERIC Kernel back then. It was one of the first tests for the
ROM Sniffer to discover the ROM address differences.

The GENERICSBC Kernels work much better on the LC520 especially when used
with the internal 160Meg disk drive.

The one thing that is probably needed is a fairly current Booter.
Version 1.9 or better I believe, but Nigel would be the best source of
info on this.  Also as I recall he has some experience with NetBSD on the
LC520. I think it was the first system he had to run NetBSD on, but that
was only when his wife let him use her system.

-bob