Subject: Re: A weird bug in 1.11.0 or in Generic-45 kernel
To: Rushabh Sheth <rsheth@alumni.stanford.org>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1997 20:58:54
Rushabh Sheth wrote:

> 	Also, there seems to be a really weird bug with the 1.11.0 booter
> or with the kernel (I am not sure which is responsible for the bug).  After
> normal routine on the NetBSD/Mac68K Launch console/window.  But after it
> boots into the NetBSD environment (the whole screen becomes UNIX console),
> something goes wrong and the screen shows the line below repeating over and
> over again:
>
> panic: trap: type 0xf, code 0x0, v0x0 -- no pcd
>
> Everything above will happen only if you select "Boot Now" after launching
> the Booter.  Here is the weirdest part:
>
> If you select "Save Options" before selecting "Boot Now", the Booter will
> perform flawlessly and take you all the way to the login prompt.   So in
> order for the whole thing to work, you always have to select "Save Options"
> before you select "Boot Now".   I have verified this bug - I have tested
> the Booter about 15 times and the results have been consistent with the
> above description of the bug.   Is this problem unique to me or did this
> happen to other people here?

This is definitely the first I've heard of it, so either you've found a
new bug introduced into 1.11.0, or else there's something a little strange
going on with your machine.  Are you booting with extensions on?  If
so, try booting with them off.  Have you tried removing the DOS card?
These are about the only thing I can think of that might be causing the
problem at the moment.

I hope this helps.

Later.