Subject: Re: NetBSD doesn't come up on my LC520
To: Mitsuru Arai <tmisty@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1997 13:15:12
Mitsuru Arai wrote:

> NetBSD 1.2.1 does not work on my LC520.
>
> Please, tell me what is wrong.

This is because NetBSD 1.2.1 does not support your machine.  (If you take
a look at the NetBSD 1.2 page on www.netbsd.org, you'll notice no mention
of the LC520.  The only support added for 1.2.1 is for the LC II and LC
III).

> Symptoms is as follows.
>
> At starting booter, "NetBSD/Mac68k has not yet been proven to work on your
> machine" message shows up.
>
> After pressing "Boot Anyway", window changes into full screen.
>
> Then after showing many of (at least full screen of)
>
> -------------------------------------
> db> Kernel:Illegal instruction trap.
> trap ty0e 2, code = 0, v= 0
> Kernel:Illegal instruction trap
> Caought exception in ddb.
> -------------------------------------
>
> my mac stops.
>
> Hardware:
>
> LC520 with FPU added
> 12Mb memory, Internal 150Mb HDD and external 2GB HDD
>
> Software
> System 7.5.3
> NetBSD 1.2.1
> Booter 1.9.5
>
> Thank you in advance.

You're machine _should_ run just fine under NetBSD-current (and under the
soon-to-be-released NetBSD 1.3).  Unless you want to wait until December,
I'd recommend getting the latest snapshot off of ftp.netbsd.org (or one of
it's mirrors).  Here's the location:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/latest/

I hope this helps, and let us know if you have any more questions.

Later.