Subject: Re: AFS Kerberized telnetd
To: Dan Heller <heller@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1997 15:01:30
On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Dan Heller wrote:

> Ever since I installed the AFS kerberos telnetd that was advertised a few
> weeks ago, i have been having slightly weird problems.  Whenever I telnet
> to my machine, it acts sorta like I never logged in.  I think that it is
> not writing to /var/log/wtmp.  If I run last, the connection does not
> show, and if i run lastlogin, It says that my last login was on 10/6,
> which I know is not true since I am currently connected.  finger, who,
> and uptime all say that there is no one logged on.  If i connect using
> ftp, it records the connection like normal.
>
> Anyways, is it not set up correctly?  Am I missing an option to telnetd?
> Or is it broken?

Dan -

That's very strange, all I can tell you is that I have had no problems -
However, I am not using a kerberized telnetd - Are you trying to do an
authenticated telnet to your machine from others? In the AFS environment,
that would require compiling a kerberized telnet daemon and requesting a
kerberos instance from advisor - I am using kerberos only for secure
telnet out and authenticated zephyr. To the best of my knowledge, this is
all that the sources on my machine are good for.

-Adrian

Adrian Rollett						5425 Forbes Ave.
Majetich Lab - Carnegie Mellon University 		Pittsburgh, PA
acrollett@cmu.edu					15217
Finger for pgp public key etc.|