Subject: Re: Questions
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1997 13:56:49
On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Adrian Rollett wrote:
>
> [long discussion of IIci memory config advice deleted for brevity]
> >
> > I have a IIci with 16 megs in 4 4 meg simms, and I had an interesting
> > experience - I am using a nubus card, so I have no need for the intvid,
> > and have no monitor connected to it. However, I noticed that when I
> > booted, it siad something like:
> > 16megs memeory (12 megs usable)
>
> This is actually normal for any kernel, assuming you're booting under
> NetBSD that is.  The kernel allocates about 4MB for itself at boot time,
> leaving the rest to be used by the system (which is why 4MB is about the
> minimum RAM for a NetBSD installation)
>
> > I recalled that someone had said whatever is in the first slot of the
> > first bank gets used for video, whether or not you like it, and no matter
> > how big the simm. Sure enough, when i switched the simms to the "B" bank,
> > the boot message indicates 16 megs of RAM, with no additional caveat.
> >
> > just for general edification...
>
> It's kinda weird that you would no longer get this message.  On my Q700,
> which doesn't use main memory as VRAM, here's what I get:
>
> real mem = 20971520
> avail mem = 17395712

Oct 13 19:43:53 rosadelsaron /netbsd: Apple Macintosh IIci  (68030)
Oct 13 19:43:53 rosadelsaron /netbsd: real mem = 16777216
Oct 13 19:43:53 rosadelsaron /netbsd: avail mem = 12537856
Oct 13 19:43:53 rosadelsaron /netbsd: using 204 buffers containing 835584
bytes
of memory

Ok,  sure enough - Dunno what made me think I didn't get it.

-Adrian

Adrian Rollett						5425 Forbes Ave.
Majetich Lab - Carnegie Mellon University 		Pittsburgh, PA
acrollett@cmu.edu					15217
Finger for pgp public key etc.|