Subject: Re: Questions
To: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1997 09:18:17
Adrian Rollett wrote:

[long discussion of IIci memory config advice deleted for brevity]

> I have a IIci with 16 megs in 4 4 meg simms, and I had an interesting
> experience - I am using a nubus card, so I have no need for the intvid,
> and have no monitor connected to it. However, I noticed that when I
> booted, it siad something like:
> 16megs memeory (12 megs usable)

This is actually normal for any kernel, assuming you're booting under
NetBSD that is.  The kernel allocates about 4MB for itself at boot time,
leaving the rest to be used by the system (which is why 4MB is about the
minimum RAM for a NetBSD installation)

> I recalled that someone had said whatever is in the first slot of the
> first bank gets used for video, whether or not you like it, and no matter
> how big the simm. Sure enough, when i switched the simms to the "B" bank,
> the boot message indicates 16 megs of RAM, with no additional caveat.
>
> just for general edification...

It's kinda weird that you would no longer get this message.  On my Q700,
which doesn't use main memory as VRAM, here's what I get:

real mem = 20971520
avail mem = 17395712

How about you?

Later.