Subject: Re: Questions about RAM
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: God's Own Drunk and a Fearless Man <wej@shutdown.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/1997 14:03:07
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > This is the last one, and I won't bug you guys for a while :)
> >
> > What is the maximum amount of memory that NetBSD 1.2.1 will address
> > on my IIci?  I have 20 in there currently, and have shut off most
> > services ( inetd, routed, talkd, etc. ) and X11R6 uses some memory :)
> > I wanna max this thing out on ram, but am cautious about buying it
> > without knowing.
>
> I think you still want inetd. Otherwise there's not much you can have
> come inbound to the box.
>
> You do have about 40 MB or so of swap configured, don't you?
>
> What do you want to do on a IIci which needs more than 20 MB? I mean
> that most of the stuff I'd like to do would take up an unrealiztic
> amount of CPU time.
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

Well.. I don't need inetd because I only use ssh to access the system.
I like running without inetd unless I *have* to.  For ftp, I just
ftp out from the box, or I use scp.  I need more than 20mb because
a. I'm running X11R6 on it
b. It's going to be the root nameserver for Kludgenet... a little
    project that some friends of mine and I from different parts of
    the country have been putting together an Internet on top of the
    internet using GRE tunneling and BGP for the backbone routing.
c. Cuz I can :)