Subject: Re: Special SE/30 Server
To: archer <archer@pacific.net.ph>
From: Luca Bonci <bonci@levy.phys.unt.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/1997 08:35:21
On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, archer wrote:

> Hello Luca Boni,
>
> Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question re: modem DTR, but was
> wondering what the "special" SE/30 Server was.  I have an SE/30, running
> system 6.0. something!, and want to get it running NETBSD, I was
> wondering what system software you were using and if you had to load mode
> 32.  I believe I have the software/hardware required, but am having a
> terrible time getting the SE/30 to accept any software above system 6+, I
> have 8 megs of ram. Thanks!

I am using system 7.0.1, I downloaded it from the apple ftp server.
I installed also mode 32 which I got from ftp.macbsd.com
I have 8 mega RAM too.

I think you should not have any problem in installing system 7 on SE/30,
it runs properly also with 7.5.3. Maybe try to make a clean install. You
can do this by hiding the finder file which is in the system folder
(e.g. move it into the preference folder), in this
way the OS does not recognize the system folder anymore (rename it also)
and the installer creates a new system folder. The you have to drag to
the new folder all the extensions and control panel software, and
prefrences if you want, which you were using with the old system.

The 'special sever' I was talking about is a special version of the
X-windows server which is properly configured for the SE/30 (see the FAQ
on  http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/index.html)

Luca