Subject: Re: ack...
To: Gods own drunk and a fearless man <wej@netcom.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/1997 18:23:27
Gods own drunk and a fearless man <wej@netcom.com> wrote:

>i just installed NetBSD 1.2.1 on a Mac IIci with a 258 meg apple disk...
>i used the pre-defined partition for the 40mb mac / a/ux root & free a/ux
>partitions... the install went smooth, and the machine is up and running
>( headless tho... ) and i'm logged into it.  i know one of the last
>partitions
>was 150 megs, and my root is 55 megs.  i can't seem to newfs any of the
>higher
>lettered partitions due to either 'not labeled as a bsd file system' or
>
>[shoebox - root]/var 114 % fsck /dev/sd0g
>Can't open /dev/rsd0g: Device not configured
>[shoebox - root]/var 115 % fsck /dev/sd0h
>Can't open /dev/rsd0h: Device not configured
>
>any ideas?  i can't newfs or fsck those two partitions...  i'm assuming the
>c partition in netbsd is the entire volume, right?

First thing you'll need to do is run disklabel on the disk after you've
come up on NetBSD. This will tell you if the Kernel sees these other
partitions and which slots they wre mapped into.  They might not get
mapped into "g" and "h", so it's important to know where the Kernel
placed them, then make your /etc/fstab match. Since you're running 1.2.1
the latest changes on partition mapping won't affect you, but you may
need to go through this exercise again when you upgrade to NetBSD 1.3.

Second, when you do the disklabel if it finds these two partitions it
will try to identify what type they are.  You'd hope to see them
identified as "4.2BSD" or "4.3BSD", but they may be coming up as "HFS" or
"unknown".  If this is the case then the disk formatter you used to
create the partitions didn't write the correct flags into the partition.
This is easily fixed by bringing up the MacOS Mkfs utility and "zapping"
the partitions into "NetBSD User" type partitions.  This will write the
proper flags into the partition so they will be recognized by the Kernel
as a BSD partition.  (Make sure you use Mkfs 1.44 or 1.45 otherwise it
will miss seeing the last partition on disk.) Then you can either format
them with Mkfs or boot up into NetBSD and run newfs on them.  If you use
newfs you have the option of making them 4.3BSD compliant, with Mkfs they
will always be 4.2BSD compliant.  Be careful with this if you choose to
use the Installer on the partitions as it only recognizes 4.2BSD type
partitions.

Hope this helps,
-bob