Subject: Re: Connecting NetBSD to MacOS
To: Olof Rymark <olof@subzero.campus.luth.se>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/1997 09:09:02
> Hello
>
> I've just installed NetBSD on my LCII, it works great. What would be even
> greater is to mount the drives on my PowerMac. As I understand there are
> a few possibilities like nfs and apple talk. The problem with nfs is that
> I can't find a good client. The problem with AppleTalk is that I can't
> compile it (Columbia AppleTalk =C5 CAP).=20

It worked for me. The trick was to define 386BSD. Yes, we don't have intel
chips, but 386BSD was an ancestor to NetBSD. :-)

As someone else mentioned, you can also run Netatalk. I'd recomend it
(partly as I helped port it :-) It patches the kernel to handle Appletalk
on the same level as IP. Most -current kernels have it built in.

You will also need the user-land (non-kernel) part. Either get the
patched binary on puma, or go snooping around on Yahoo and get
Adrian Sun's patched netatalk for AppleShareIP. It's at version a16
or so, and has had NetBSD support since about version a8.

> Does anyone have a precompiled program that makes my NetBSD computer
> availible via AppleTalk or something similar or have any recommendations
> or could point me to some interesting links??
>
> My main goal is when I  doubleclick a file thats availible on the BSD
> computer, the appropriate application will open on my mac.

Look at aufs for CAP (Appletalk Unix File Server) or afpd for netatalk
(Appletalk Filesharing Protocol Daemon).

Take care,

Bill