Subject: Re: ppp-down does not disconnect modem
To: Luca Bonci <bonci@levy.phys.unt.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/13/1997 13:41:39
> I was able to open a ppp connection using the ppp setup
> by Bill Stundenmund, also this worked very well.
>
> Only one problem: ppp-down killed the demon but did not disconnected my
> external Smart One 14.4 modem.

Does your modem have a light which indicates the status of DTR? Does DTR
drop for one second after pppd dies?

There are three possable problems. 1) The DTR-dropping code in the kernel
can get confused in certain circumstances, and think the modem's down
when it's not. It's a rare occurance for me.

2) Your modem cable might not connect HSKo to DTR (as the current
setup assumes). Can MacOS make the modem hang up? Do you know how it
does it?

3) your modem might be configured to ignore the DTR pin. You'll need
to dig into your modem manual for this one. Note: the sample modem
init string might well NOT work with your modem!

Take care,

Bill