Subject: Re: argh.
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1997 19:58:12
Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

>Here is a case to add to the mix:  I tried partitioning an 80MB sd2 into a
>40MB swap partition and the remainder user slice 3 (or something like that)
>in Apple's utility.  Disklabel would show sd2a as 16K unknown (the driver
>partition which I couldn't get rid of) and sd2b as swap (correct), but no
>other partitions.  When I changed the partition to root&user then
>everything worked.

Some disk formatters are known to have problems setting the proper
partition flags which are required by NetBSD (and A/UX).  The partition
"zap" facility in Mkfs will set the flags as required for partitions
which are to be used for NetBSD filesystems.  As far as I know a disk
partition created as a "User slice n" won't be seen by NetBSD as a NetBSD
type partition.  I believe the only ones that will be recognized as BSD
partitions are "Root", "Root & Usr", "Usr" and "Swap".  These are also
the only ones the Mkfs knows how to set the partition flags for. Any
other partitions will show up as "unknown" or "HFS" in the disklabel
output.

-bob