Subject: Re: evil mkfs
To: Peter Abrahamsen <p1rabbit@halcyon.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1997 16:19:18
Peter Abrahamsen wrote:

> Ay, so here's an update. mkfs worked, yes, after formatting it. The type is
> now (and was before) UNIX_SRV2, but whatever. The installer (1.1f is the one I
> used, I think) worked pretty well, except for a crash somewhere between the
> last bit of misc and the first bit of secr. "oh well," says I, "whatever." I
> reboot, install the remaining packages, and all seems well. I build the
> devices, hop into the minishell, copy in a few proggies (bash, pico, lynx,
> wrstuden.ppp.setup, etc), and put GENERIC-45 and GENERICSBC-45 at /netbsd and
> /netbsd-sbc respectively. The booter is configured as follows:
> kernel in: netbsd
> kernel name: netbsd
> partition: NetBSD Root
> ID: 3
> Execute (or something): YES
> Ask: Yes (tried no, also)
> RAM: Autosizing at 17mb
> don't disable video board stuff: no
> GMT: auto
> debugging info: no
> dump env: yes

Sounds good so far....what booter are you using, btw?

> There are a few things that happen, depending on what I do. With the above, it
> will complain that the kernel is not in a form that it can execute. If I
> select netbsd-sbc, it merely crashes. booting the kernel from the macos does
> the same thing. I downloaded the kernels in Binary format with Anarchie. I
> even tried downloading them again, to no avail. I got 'em at

Ah, how did you install them?  Also, the Booter version really matters
here.  Most kernels are gzipped tar files.  Unless they are unarchived
(via Install on the file menu of the Installer) or using something like
Stuffit Expander or MacGzip and Tar, they will not be in a format that the
Booter can handle.  The most recent versions of the Booter (1.10 and up?)
should be able to boot from gzipped kernels, but not from tarred and
gzipped kernels.

> ftp.warped.com/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels/ or something pretty close to
> that. Once I got the booter to merely give me that same error at scsiread()
> #5. I can only try booting a couple times before it crashes.
> BTW, at what point do I set up the swap and usr partitions? (i.e. tell fstab
> or whatever where they are) perhaps the installer did this, and I just forgot.

Generally, if the partitions exist and are of the correct type, the
Installer will create them when you make devices.  If you have a separate
/usr partition, you need to (1) make devices, (2) go into the minishell
and do a 'mkdir /usr', (3) mount the /usr directory with a 'mount
/dev/sd?g /usr' where ? is the correct disk number, and (4) do an 'fstab
force'.  This should create a proper /etc/fstab for you.

I hope this helps some.

Later.