Subject: Re: evil mkfs
To: Peter Abrahamsen <p1rabbit@halcyon.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1997 15:50:57

> Ay, so here's an update. mkfs worked, yes, after formatting it. The type is
> now (and was before) UNIX_SRV2, but whatever. The installer (1.1f is the one I
> used, I think) worked pretty well, except for a crash somewhere between the
> last bit of misc and the first bit of secr. "oh well," says I, "whatever." I
> reboot, install the remaining packages, and all seems well. I build the
> devices, hop into the minishell, copy in a few proggies (bash, pico, lynx,
> wrstuden.ppp.setup, etc), and put GENERIC-45 and GENERICSBC-45 at /netbsd and
> /netbsd-sbc respectively. The booter is configured as follows:
> kernel in: netbsd
> kernel name: netbsd
> partition: NetBSD Root
> ID: 3
> Execute (or something): YES
> Ask: Yes (tried no, also)
> RAM: Autosizing at 17mb
> don't disable video board stuff: no
> GMT: auto
> debugging info: no
> dump env: yes

Sounds good so far. Though could you please break your messages into
more paragraphs & add some white space between them? Thanks!

> There are a few things that happen, depending on what I do. With the above, it
> will complain that the kernel is not in a form that it can execute. If I
> select netbsd-sbc, it merely crashes. booting the kernel from the macos does
> the same thing. I downloaded the kernels in Binary format with Anarchie. I
> even tried downloading them again, to no avail. I got 'em at
> ftp.warped.com/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels/ or something pretty close to
> that.

Did you install the downloaded files, or cpin them? I think they are
compressed tar files, or tar files, just like base and comp.

> Once I got the booter to merely give me that same error at scsiread()
> #5. I can only try booting a couple times before it crashes.
> BTW, at what point do I set up the swap and usr partitions? (i.e. tell fstab
> or whatever where they are) perhaps the installer did this, and I just forgot.

You'll just need to edit /etc/fstab, after making sure the usr partition's
fine. ;-) I think there's a default swap line in the default /etc/fstab.

Take care,

Bill