Subject: Re: NetBSD on Apple IIci: Boot failure while 32bit
To: Jeroen Schaap <scnboy@stad.dsl.nl>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/1997 13:48:10
Jeroen Schaap wrote:

> Dear Mark & Chris, (and every one listening)
>
> Thanks for your answers. I finally succeeded in booting the IIci.
> Nevertheless, the MMM has not been the problem, appearently. In MacFan, a
> dutch magazine (rather new, a bit superficial but nice anyway) an article
> on unixs for macs explained their problems with BSD on (lucky me)
> macIIci. BSD only ran after adding ram to the mac, total 8 megs. So I've
> also supplied my mac with 16 megs..... and it runs now. Modern Memory
> Manager is off, though.

Hmmmm....how much swap did you have before?  How much RAM?  I would think
that a NetBSD kernel could still fit within 4MB of RAM...but maybe not.
You should probably have at least 20MB of RAM + swap at any rate, tho.

> I am used to linux and so I have problems. I ruined passwd and will
> install the sys from scratch another time. Not a big deal, I will learn
> eventually :-). But I'd like to now how i can simultaneously log in with
> different users. With Linux, a give a <alt-f2> and there I have 6 virtual
> consoles. Does BSD perform this same trick?

NetBSD/mac68k doesn't support the in-kernel virtual console that Linux
(and NetBSD/i386) does, but there is a solution if you prefer it:  use the
'dt' utility instead.  You can find a copy of 'dt' on ftp.macbsd.com.  It
supports virtual terminals which run a lot faster than the native console.
You switch between them using Command-1, etc.  It also supports cut and
paste :-)  Very nice unless you prefer X.

I hope this helps.

Later.