Subject: Re: adding a new on an existing NetBSD Drive
To: Rahim Azizarab <rahim@megspo.megsinet.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/09/1997 11:36:37
> I installed NetBSD-1.2.1 on a 1.3 gig drive.  I had to use the 40Meg apple
> option on the mkfs program under MacOS.  I have a 50 meg NetBSD root&usr
> where NetBSD has been installed.  I tried using mkfs from MacOS to change
> the format of my 1200meg partition to NetBSD.  It says bad SuperBlock when
> I try to mount it.  Do I need to do a disklabel on this partion and then
> newfs? could doing a disklabel destroy my existing NetBSD partion on
> /dev/sd1a?

No and yes. You don't disklabel partitions. If the partition shows up in
the disklabel, you need to newfs it. Note also that by default newfs
will create a partition which the installer can't use. The other option
is to have mkfs format that partition.

> Can the NetBSD drive be made bootable such that NetBSD gets loaded without
> going into MacOS?

Someone worked on it, but I don't know how well it works. The problem I see
is that we still get lots of state about the machine from MacOS.

You CAN make a small bootable MacOS partition, and put the booter in
the startup items folder. If you have the booter autoboot, you will
get into NetBSD unattended.

Take care,

Bill