Subject: TCP/IP PPP through an ethernet cable
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Johan Claesson <Johan.Claesson@uab.ericsson.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/09/1997 12:50:48
Hi!

I have asked this before but didn't get an answer.

At home I've got two computers a Macintosh LC 475 and an Macintosh IIcx.
Both thoose computers is equiped with an ethernet card. I have no
connection to a another network.
I have attached ONE ethernet cable (Twisted Pair) between the card of
each computer. We may call it a Point To Point connection. This cable is
switched in the opposite ends, to avoid network jam and crashes. It
works when using ethertalk between the computers.

My question:
Is it possible to run a TCP/IP network based on my equipment. I have
tried myself, but wihtout success. What I did was to create my own
network, 134.138.220, and gave the LC 475 IP-address 134.138.220.10 and
the IIcx 134.138.220.20. The subnet mask for both machine is set to
255.255.255.0. But the gateway? I don't have one. Can I set the opposite
IP-addresses, gateway for the IIcx 134.138.220.10 and for the LC 475
134.138.220.20?

Hoping for answer

Regards Johan Claesson

--
Johan Claesson

ÄS/UAB/Z/IKA · Ericsson AXE Research and Development, System
Administration & Support
Phone: +46 (0)8 727 3095, ECN 851 3095
http://www.elfi.adbkons.se/~rat