Subject: Re: MacBSD Install
To: None <khym@bga.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1997 21:13:40
On Wed, 8 Oct 1997 16:15:51 -0500 (CDT),
Dave Huang <khym@bga.com> wrote:
khym> On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Paul Goyette wrote:
khym> > >Just wondering, on a wide SCSI bus, what ID is the controller?  Is it
khym> > >always the last one?
khym> >
khym> > AFAIK, on wide SCSIs, the controller is ID #15.
khym>
khym> I dunno about Macs, but on PeeCees, the controller is at ID #7, for both
khym> wide and non-wide busses. It's probably the same on Macs though, since the
khym> priority of devices on the bus is: 7, 6, ... 0, 15, 14, ..., 8 (highest to
khym> lowest). And I guess you usually want the controller to have the highest
khym> priority :)

Hiya guys.  Long time no see.

Just a minor nit-picking; I always thought lower SCSI ID had higher
priority, i.e. you usually want the host adapter to have the lowest
priority (in wide SCSI, it's conceivable that the host is ID 7 instead
of the lowest priority ID 15, because otherwise you won't be able to
talk to non-wide devices connected to wide bus).

Later,

Ken