Subject: Re: compiling a new kernel (was new esp() drivers?)
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1997 17:52:18

> Well, i think i'm getting closer!
>
> A scsi cable from a macplus was recently acquired to hookup my scsi
> devices box, however i've noticed that now i can't even book macOS if my
> other scsi devices box isn't turned on. Hmmm.. So...in
> "/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC/" when "make all" is run the
> cc compiler successfully gets past "/usr/src/sys/scsi/sd.c", which
> apparently searches for active scsi devices to add to the kernel (at
> least that's what the source code seems to be doing at one point).

??? Yes, the code looks for all scsi devices, but the compilation of that
code does not.

> Prior
> to that  and with my other scsi devices off, i'd get to ../scsi/sd.c and
> the computer bails out a message called "esp0: / scsi bus reset".

Always? Regardless of how much compilation preceeded it? Very weird!

> Anyway, ...now at "/usr/src/sys/mac68k/compile/GENERIC/" the compiler
> stops at:
>
>     ld -n -Ttext 0 -e start -S -o netbsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ} ver.o
>     ld: cd9660_lookup.o: read_file_symbols(header) = premature EOF
>     *** Error code 1
>     Stop.

cd9660_lookup.o is damaged.

> I've added a patch to scsiconf.c so that my el cheapo MEDIAVIS 2X cdrom
> player will work. That's why i'm building a kernel.

What was wrong? You should send in a pr reporting the quirk so that
it can get added to the main source (in time ofr 1.3!).

Take care,

Bill