Subject: Re: compiling a new kernel (was new esp() drivers?)
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1997 16:41:38
Brian Wildasinn wrote:

> Well, i think i'm getting closer!
>
> A scsi cable from a macplus was recently acquired to hookup my scsi
> devices box, however i've noticed that now i can't even book macOS if my
> other scsi devices box isn't turned on. Hmmm.. So...in
> "/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC/" when "make all" is run the
> cc compiler successfully gets past "/usr/src/sys/scsi/sd.c", which
> apparently searches for active scsi devices to add to the kernel (at
> least that's what the source code seems to be doing at one point). Prior
> to that  and with my other scsi devices off, i'd get to ../scsi/sd.c and
> the computer bails out a message called "esp0: / scsi bus reset".

The fact that it was bombing while compiling the scsi disk driver is just
random bad luck.  It could have bombed on something else instead in all
likelihood...

> Anyway, ...now at "/usr/src/sys/mac68k/compile/GENERIC/" the compiler
> stops at:
>
>     ld -n -Ttext 0 -e start -S -o netbsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ} ver.o
>     ld: cd9660_lookup.o: read_file_symbols(header) = premature EOF
>     *** Error code 1
>     Stop.

This looks like filesystem corruption, I think.  You might try removing
the bad file (cd9660_lookup.o) and then doing another make.  Hopefully
this will manage to create the object file without the corruption.

> I've added a patch to scsiconf.c so that my el cheapo MEDIAVIS 2X cdrom
> player will work. That's why i'm building a kernel.

Have you sent in a PR with the patch?

I hope this helps some.

Later.