Subject: compiling a new kernel (was new esp() drivers?)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1997 14:52:53
Well, i think i'm getting closer!

A scsi cable from a macplus was recently acquired to hookup my scsi
devices box, however i've noticed that now i can't even book macOS if my
other scsi devices box isn't turned on. Hmmm.. So...in
"/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC/" when "make all" is run the
cc compiler successfully gets past "/usr/src/sys/scsi/sd.c", which
apparently searches for active scsi devices to add to the kernel (at
least that's what the source code seems to be doing at one point). Prior
to that  and with my other scsi devices off, i'd get to ../scsi/sd.c and
the computer bails out a message called "esp0: / scsi bus reset".
Anyway, ...now at "/usr/src/sys/mac68k/compile/GENERIC/" the compiler
stops at:

    ld -n -Ttext 0 -e start -S -o netbsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ} ver.o
    ld: cd9660_lookup.o: read_file_symbols(header) = premature EOF
    *** Error code 1
    Stop.

I've added a patch to scsiconf.c so that my el cheapo MEDIAVIS 2X cdrom
player will work. That's why i'm building a kernel.

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Brian Wildasinn
bwildasi@csulb.edu
notes: Q700, system snapshot 970927 & X11R6.3, Seagate 1gig harddrive.