Subject: Re: MacBSD Install
To: Paul Goyette <paul_goyette@ins.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1997 16:15:51
On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Paul Goyette wrote:
> >Just wondering, on a wide SCSI bus, what ID is the controller?  Is it
> >always the last one?
>
> AFAIK, on wide SCSIs, the controller is ID #15.

I dunno about Macs, but on PeeCees, the controller is at ID #7, for both
wide and non-wide busses. It's probably the same on Macs though, since the
priority of devices on the bus is: 7, 6, ... 0, 15, 14, ..., 8 (highest to
lowest). And I guess you usually want the controller to have the highest
priority :)

> >> 3. For each target that exists, determine its type:  hard drive is "sd", tape
> >>    drive is "st", scanner is "ss", network card is "se", CD-Rom is "cd", and
> >>    other is "su" (u for unknown).  I think there's also a separate "ch" for
> >>    CD-ROM changers.

"ch" are "media changers", which usually seem to be tape changers. CD-ROM
changers could (and IMHO should) use a media changer device too, but all
the ones I've seen/heard of implement them as multiple cdroms at different
LUNs, automatically loading the appropriate CD when accessed. This is nice
in theory (and nice on a single-user machine), but if you get two or more
processes accessing more than one CD simultaneously, the poor changer
spends all its time swapping CDs, and barely gets any time to actually
read the CDs.

With a media changer device, you usually only have one actual drive, and
one media changer device to load/unload media. You'd need to explicitly
tell it to swap media (e.g. with the chio command), instead of it doing it
automatically.

> >I think that uknown SCSI devices are actually "uk" (or at least that's
> >what my config file used the last time I looked at it), although I can't
> >at the moment think of a SCSI device which falls outside of one of the
> >already specified categories...

These seem pretty rare, but there are/were SCSI printers. SCSI ethernet
interfaces used to be unknown too, but I think we've got a driver for some
of 'em now :) (se?)

> Yep - unknown is "su" - so sue me for trying to introduce some sort of
> consistency!  :)

Um, you mean unknown is "uk", right? :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++