Subject: Re: MacBSD Install
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul_goyette@ins.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1997 11:30:53
At 11:14 AM 10/8/97 -0700, Colin Wood wrote:

>Actually, I think that e (and maybe f) are normally reserved for
>additional Root type partitions, so you'll start with g, then hit h, then
>back up to f, and finally e, although I could be a little off on that.
>I've got a drive with 1 Root partition (a), 1 Swap (b), whole disk (c),
>MacOS driver (d), and 3 Usr type partitions (f,g,h) mounting /home, /var,
>and /usr, respectively.

Oh?!!  Well, I've never actually used >1 root partition - that's what I've
got multiple spindles for!  :)

But I'm certain that if you only have one root partition on the disk, then the
user partitions are assigned g, e, f, h - on my machine that's /usr, /usr/src,
/home, and /usr/X11R6 (/var is on a different drive, and /tmp is 20MB mfs).

>Just wondering, on a wide SCSI bus, what ID is the controller?  Is it
>always the last one?

AFAIK, on wide SCSIs, the controller is ID #15.

>> 3. For each target that exists, determine its type:  hard drive is "sd",
tape
>>    drive is "st", scanner is "ss", network card is "se", CD-Rom is "cd",
and
>>    other is "su" (u for unknown).  I think there's also a separate "ch" for
>>    CD-ROM changers.
>
>I think that uknown SCSI devices are actually "uk" (or at least that's
>what my config file used the last time I looked at it), although I can't
>at the moment think of a SCSI device which falls outside of one of the
>already specified categories...

Yep - unknown is "su" - so sue me for trying to introduce some sort of
consistency!  :)

| Paul Goyette, Network Systems Engineer | PGP Key fingerprint:      |
| International Network Systems          | 0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0   |
| San Ramon, CA  94583                   | E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6   |
| Phone: (510) 831-4743                  |                           |
| Pager: (800) INS-1INS  (467-1467)      |                           |