Subject: MacBSD Install
To: None <kollar@stc.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul_goyette@ins.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1997 10:38:11
In addition to Colin's comments:

1. When referencing the formmating utilities, you should probably include the
   vendor names:

	HDT = FWB's Hard Disk Toolkit (_not_ Tools)
	SilverLinig = LaCie's

2. Partition info:
	a = 1st root partition if there is one on the drive
	b = 1st swap partition if there is one on the drive
	c = the whole drive, regardless of partitioning
	d = usually, the MacOS Driver partition - useless for MacBSD
	g = 1st user partition

   Additional partitions (of any type, including MacOS) are assigned to any
   remaining, available letter in alphabetic order.  So, a second user
   partition would be e, not h!  Partitions other than the ones listed above
   are assigned in the order in which the partitions are listed in the drive's
   partition map;  note that at least some partitioning utilities will reorder
   the map so that partitions are listed in the order they are arranged on the
   disk.

You might also want to note that it is possible to have multiple root
partitions
on a single drive.  In this case, the first one (based on the partition
map) is
"a" and any others get a free letter.  If there are multiple root partitions,
you need to specify the partition name in the Booter in order to boot from any
but the "a" partition.

And, as Colin pointed out, the number portion of the drive number is
determined
as follows:

1. Search each SCSI bus in order, starting as scsibus0 (note, for now we only
   support one scsi bus, but this could change in the future).

2. On each bus, scan the bus for each scsi target in order, starting with 0
and
   going up to the maximum target for the bus (6 is the limit for old scsi-1,
   scsi-2 wide and scsi-3 go up to 14).

3. For each target that exists, determine its type:  hard drive is "sd", tape
   drive is "st", scanner is "ss", network card is "se", CD-Rom is "cd", and
   other is "su" (u for unknown).  I think there's also a separate "ch" for
   CD-ROM changers.

4. Now that you've determined what device type to use, simply assign the next
   available number.  So the first scsi disk drive is sd0, and the first scsi
   tape drive is st0, regardless of what their scsi addresses are!

Also, please note that the above assignment scheme only applies to GENERIC
kernels.  If anyone doesn't like this scheme, they are encouraged to compile
their own kernels with the particular devices hard-wired in the configuration
file.
| Paul Goyette, Network Systems Engineer | PGP Key fingerprint:      |
| International Network Systems          | 0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0   |
| San Ramon, CA  94583                   | E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6   |
| Phone: (510) 831-4743                  |                           |
| Pager: (800) INS-1INS  (467-1467)      |                           |