Subject: Re: Even more booting problems with NetBSD 1.1 on MacIIcx
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1997 17:57:26
> The Classic II has not booted since the original intvid stuff was removed
> from -current.  There is no recent -current kernel which should boot this
> machine on navtive console, to the best of my knowledge.  It should boot
> just fine under a serial console, tho.

I recall discussing this with Scott a while ago. I think it might be fixed
in 1.3. (Don't quote me :)

I think there are a few "under the hood" style changes that are long overdue
on some machines. It looks like we have a few machines booting but there
are some screwball things going on that aren't quite right. A good example
is the Quadra AV's where we're not mapping in all of device space, or
the Classics where we are doing things, like looking at NuBus space,
that we shouldn't be. Of course, some of this stuff is subtle. For instance,
while I can get my IIvx to boot and work I don't think we fully comprehend
the memory mapping or the way the ADB stuff works. Ex: I can't run ddb for
more than a few commands before it locks up while under a Quadra, ddb works
great. Or how about those mysterious SCSI errors linked to the kernel size?
(Note: I think we may not be mapping in all of device space on the IIvx
either. But that's a hunch).

I'd say we're doing OK but we'll need to learn a few more fine points about
certain machines before NetBSD/Mac68k will be as stable as it could possibly
be. I will say, though, that we've come a long way!