Subject: Re: Even more booting problems with NetBSD 1.1 on MacIIcx
To: Tobias Weihmann <tobiasw@swin.baynet.de>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1997 14:13:41
> thanks for the help with the 32bit memory addressing. I've downloaded the
> FAQ, installed a full system 7.1 on my IIcx and removed every system
> extension/INIT except MODE32 and activated 32bit via "Memory" control.

This should work.  It's quite possible that there are problems using 1.1
with system 7.x--I don't recall the relative timelines..--and it's also
quite possible that backward support for 1.1 was broken in the booter by
the time of 1.9.5.

I suggest two courses of action:
	* Download the current booter from ftp.macbsd.com and try that.
	* Download a current 1.2g (or 1.2 or 1.2.1) kernel and try that.

The current kernels should be able to run 1.1 binaries, so you shouldn't
_have_ to update userland (although some things won't work properly,
like ps, w, etc.).

> NetBSD may be nice, but its programmers aren't able to print readable
> error messages, "you're hosed" means 24bit addressing and so on...

Nope.  "You're hosed" meant that there were too many memory regions--it
just so happened that Apple (for some machines and some versions of the
OS in some combination of 24/32-bit mode/vm/etc.) configured RAM with a
lot of memory regions.  It was only after 1.1 had been out for a while
that that correlation was known.  Unfortunately, Apple's memory
configurations are not well-documented.  ;-)

> I'm not yet sure what I've to write at "Partition Name"

You can leave that blank--it's only used if you have multiple partitions
that look like root partitions.

> and if I've got to select VBL Interuppts.

Don't bother.

> accidentaly ran mkfs on my Swap partition, but this is no problem,
> is it?

Nope.

> Everyone is talking about Grey Bars, too.

That's "Extra Debugging Info" in modern booters...  :-)

> P.S. I can't format my Quantum SCSI drive on my IIcx, Apples format
> tool says there's no valid harddisk connected, but it's installed
> correctly. Anyone knows why?

That's in the FAQ.  You can patch it.  Apple's HD Setup only works on
drives with APPLE PROMs on the disk (or drives that it explicitly
recognizes).  Kind of like IBM booting off tape drives, but that's
another story...  ;-)

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com