Subject: Re: Even more booting problems with NetBSD 1.1 on MacIIcx
To: Tobias Weihmann <tobiasw@swin.baynet.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1997 10:41:02

> Hi,
> thanks for the help with the 32bit memory addressing. I've downloaded the
> FAQ, installed a full system 7.1 on my IIcx and removed every system
> extension/INIT except MODE32 and activated 32bit via "Memory" control.
> I've still one 26MB Root&Usr and a 5.5 MB Swap partition. My mac has 5MB
> RAM and a 40 MB harddisk and a Portrait display (which is said to be
> supported).
> Okay, I know I've Version 1.1, which is quite old, but I also have a very
> slow Internet connection, so I wan't to try this one first. But I down-
> loaded Booter 1.9.5. I tried many configurations with my old Booter 1.8
> and the 1.9.5 but it didn't work.

The real problem is that 1.1 is VERY old, like 2 years. I bet most of
us have forgotten many of the common problems with it. Like the fact there
is a bug in the baud rate selection on the IIsi. :-(

Also note you're looking at a recent FAQ. I'm not sure what the status of
the Portrait display was two years ago.

I'd recomend at least grabbing a 1.2.1 kernel and 1.2.1 base. Many bugs
were fixed, and also we will be better-able to help with any problems
you do have.

> Bootstrapping the pmap system
> Pmap bootstrapped
> Moving ROM Base from 0x40800000 to 0x1800000
> Video address 0xf9000080 -> 0x28900080
> (this is were Booter 1.9.5 hangs up, 1.8 continues)
> NetBSD1.1 (Generic) #47, Wed Nov 22 19:17.19 PST 1995
>    root2@wormhole:/disk2/...
> Apple Macintosh IIcx (68030)
> real mem = 5242880
> avail mem = 2547712
> using 89 buffers containing 364544 bytes of memory
> mrg: 'Mac II class ROMS' rom glue, tracing off, debug off, silent trap
> adb: bus subsystem
> Got following HwCfg Flags 0xfc00 0xffffdfff, 0xffffffff, 0x 0
> mrg: Not setting up egret.
> mrg: ADB interuppts enabled.
> (Booter 1.8 hangs up)
>
> NetBSD may be nice, but its programmers aren't able to print readable
> error messages, "you're hosed" means 24bit addressing and so on...

The current error message says:
You're hosed!  Try booting with 32-bit addressing

> Okay, no RAM Doubler, Auto memory stuff on, 5 MB RAM. No extra hard-
> ware. I'm not yet sure what I've to write at "Partition Name"
> (A/UX Root&Usr???) and if I've got to select VBL Interuppts. I
> accidentaly ran mkfs on my Swap partition, but this is no problem,
> is it? Everyone is talking about Grey Bars, too. But I can't see
> such an option anywhere.

Grey Bars dissapeared some time before 1.1. I'd hope the current booter
(1.11) doesn't mention them.

> P.S. I can't format my Quantum SCSI drive on my IIcx, Apples format
> tool says there's no valid harddisk connected, but it's installed
> correctly. Anyone knows why?

Apple's formatters generally don't work with non-Apple drives, unless
you hack on the program (there's one resource you need to change to
make it deal with non-Apple drives).

Take care,

Bill