Subject: Even more booting problems with NetBSD 1.1 on MacIIcx
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tobias Weihmann <tobiasw@swin.baynet.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/1997 17:41:55
Hi,
thanks for the help with the 32bit memory addressing. I've downloaded the
FAQ, installed a full system 7.1 on my IIcx and removed every system
extension/INIT except MODE32 and activated 32bit via "Memory" control.
I've still one 26MB Root&Usr and a 5.5 MB Swap partition. My mac has 5MB
RAM and a 40 MB harddisk and a Portrait display (which is said to be
supported).
Okay, I know I've Version 1.1, which is quite old, but I also have a very
slow Internet connection, so I wan't to try this one first. But I down-
loaded Booter 1.9.5. I tried many configurations with my old Booter 1.8
and the 1.9.5 but it didn't work.

Bootstrapping the pmap system
Pmap bootstrapped
Moving ROM Base from 0x40800000 to 0x1800000
Video address 0xf9000080 -> 0x28900080
(this is were Booter 1.9.5 hangs up, 1.8 continues)
NetBSD1.1 (Generic) #47, Wed Nov 22 19:17.19 PST 1995
   root2@wormhole:/disk2/...
Apple Macintosh IIcx (68030)
real mem = 5242880
avail mem = 2547712
using 89 buffers containing 364544 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Mac II class ROMS' rom glue, tracing off, debug off, silent trap
adb: bus subsystem
Got following HwCfg Flags 0xfc00 0xffffdfff, 0xffffffff, 0x 0
mrg: Not setting up egret.
mrg: ADB interuppts enabled.
(Booter 1.8 hangs up)

NetBSD may be nice, but its programmers aren't able to print readable
error messages, "you're hosed" means 24bit addressing and so on...
Okay, no RAM Doubler, Auto memory stuff on, 5 MB RAM. No extra hard-
ware. I'm not yet sure what I've to write at "Partition Name"
(A/UX Root&Usr???) and if I've got to select VBL Interuppts. I
accidentaly ran mkfs on my Swap partition, but this is no problem,
is it? Everyone is talking about Grey Bars, too. But I can't see
such an option anywhere.

Thanks again in advance,
 Tobias

P.S. I can't format my Quantum SCSI drive on my IIcx, Apples format
tool says there's no valid harddisk connected, but it's installed
correctly. Anyone knows why?

--
What happened to Epyx, the legendary C64 company? You
can find the answer and an interesting interview with