Subject: Re: Quadra 840AV (really MacOS version stuff)
To: E. Seth Miller <esmiller@engin.umich.edu>
From: Ethan Gold <etgold@cs.vassar.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/06/1997 19:00:45
>(7.0, 7.1, 7.5.x, 7.6, 8) should increase in speed slightly, and

	my experience has been completely the opposite. each update is
increasingly *slower*. and 8.0 is a dog when it comes to finder operations.
7.1 is the best version of Sys 7, IMHO. 7.0 didn't have the fonts folder
and the 7.5x's were notoriously unstable and buggy and loaded with
"features" I had no use for. And 7.1 tears up the asphalt on 7100's for
Marathon. :-)
	The difference between 7.1 and 8.0 on my C650 was disappointingly
noticeable, not to mention the offensive memory footprint. Hope you've had
better luck. NetBSD boots fine under both 7.1 and 8.0 for me, but virtual
memory doesn't turn off when you hold down shift on boot under 8 which is a
pain.

	-Ethan

| Ethan Gold, Vassar College class of '97           |
| http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~etgold/                 |
| UGS Research Assistant                            |
| Nonproliferation and International Security       |
| Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM    |