Subject: Re: Quadra 840AV (really MacOS version stuff)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: E. Seth Miller <esmiller@engin.umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/06/1997 20:12:07
On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Larry E Kollar wrote:

> Henry Hotz writes:
>
> >I got a Quadra 840AV to replace the IIci I was using...
> >Should I upgrade to 7.5, 7.5.1, 7.5.3, 7.5.5, or 7.6.1?  ...I only know
> >that 7.5+ is a lot bigger/slower on the older hardware
>
> Not necessarily slower.  I noticed a significant performance improvement
> from 7.0.1 to 7.5 on my IIsi.  I'm currently running 7.5.3 but didn't
> notice any obvious improvement over 7.5.  Just make sure you do a "clean"
> install of 7.5.x; it'll be much more stable.  I think clean-install is
> the default for 7.6 & 8.0.

Well, I apologize that we're getting off the whole NetBSD topic, but at
least we're staying with the Mac part...  Clean install means making a new
system folder, and leaving the old one but "unblessing" it so that it no
longer acts as a system folder.  AFAIK, no version of the MacOS does a
clean install by default.
	I do agree that a clean install is much more stable, and it is
probably the way to go for a NetBSD box.  Make sure that you don't do a
minimum install, since NetBSD doesn't like that (I don't know why not,
it's not my department...).
	As far as speed increases go, each separate version of the OS
(7.0, 7.1, 7.5.x, 7.6, 8) should increase in speed slightly, and
reliability somewhat, but will usually (not always) also increase in disk
and RAM footprint, and will support fewer machines.  Personally, I'm
running 7.1 on my IIci, since I'm in MacOS for about 30 seconds every
month or so...  I'm most concerned with disk space, and I don't really
care about anything else.
	Personally, if I had an 840AV, I'd probably put 7.6.1 on it, but I
haven't actually tried this, so I can't guarantee that this is a good
idea.
	Good luck with the upgrade and the NetBSD install!

	-Seth