Subject: Booting a new Mac
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/06/1997 14:47:52
Here is the miscellany of stuff I hit setting up -current (eskimo-copy
using Sept 27 sources) on a Quadra 840AV.

Using mkfs 1.45 the dialog boxes sometimes covered up messages I wanted to
read in the console window.  We all know you shouldn't mix the two
interface styles, and dialog boxes shouldn't be modal, etc., but could we
just make the dialog boxes movable so you can uncover and read what's in
the console window?

Using Installer 1.1e there is a window titled New Window underneath the
console log which cannot be moved or brought to the front.  It covered up a
finder window with a file name I wanted to copy, otherwise no big deal.
Also when using the mini-shell it ignores menu commands even though the
menus still look like they are operational.  I thought it was hung and
rebooted once when I shouldn't have.

Using booter 1.11.0 I had to do several things:  The machine first hung
after the messages about video addresses.  I zapped PRAM, reset the mouse
speed and turned appletalk back on and it got done setting up egret.  I
zapped PRAM again but changed nothing and it got to identify the Asante
Ethernet interface in slot 2 and stopped.  I took the card out and it
booted all the way to single-user, but there was no recognition of the
motherboard ethernet.

So I put the Asante back in and checked the "don't disable VBL" box in the
booter and it still hung after it looked at that card.  FYI this is the
same physical card that worked just fine on a IIci under 1.2.

So am I stuck?  Anyone got any suggestions?  Should I turn this machine
back in for a Quadra 800 if it's still available?  I need a network
interface.