Subject: Re: Moving a drive
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/03/1997 14:37:37

> Last night, I moved an external drive into my SE/30 mail server. I ran into
> some problems that were mostly related to lack of sleep, but some might
> bear looking into.
>
> I didn't change /etc/fstab before trying to boot, and since I had changed
> the scsi id from 5 to 0 the booter failed. It actually quits rather than
> helping, but if you watch it, it tells you what the problem is before it
> quits. You just have to be vigilant. this is 1.9.5 I think, newer booters
> may be more helpful.

Not good. :-(

> When I tried to modify /etc/fstab I realized that I had to mount the volume
> r/w, duh... Anyway, if you havent manually mounted anything in a while, and
> mistakenly try
> mount -uw /dev/sd0a
>
> it fails with a very non helpful message about the device being unknown. It
> would be _much_ more helpful if it mentioned that I had forgotten to
> include a mount point.

Also not good.

> I finally got it, changed the fstab, and guess what, still no good.
>
> fsck -? /dev/sd1a is hard wired into /etc/rc.  Is there a reason for this?

That line must be there because you put it there. It's not in the
standard distribution. We HAVE had problems w/ the fsck line, but I
think it was either that fsck wanted ffs partitions, or (off the wall
rememberance) when you update, you needed to do an --unlink. (I had
this problem appear and disapear, and the only thing I could think of
was that I'd untarred with --unlink the second time)

> Once I fixed this, the only remaining thing is that even though fstab says
> that /dev/sd0a is a ufs volume, dmesg says it is ffs. I don't know if this
> is or will cause problems, but I'd be more comfortable if it were
> consistant.

It should be ffs. The move happened somewhere around 1.1 -> 1.2.

Take care,

Bill