Subject: Moving a drive
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/03/1997 16:54:19
Last night, I moved an external drive into my SE/30 mail server. I ran into
some problems that were mostly related to lack of sleep, but some might
bear looking into.

I didn't change /etc/fstab before trying to boot, and since I had changed
the scsi id from 5 to 0 the booter failed. It actually quits rather than
helping, but if you watch it, it tells you what the problem is before it
quits. You just have to be vigilant. this is 1.9.5 I think, newer booters
may be more helpful.

When I tried to modify /etc/fstab I realized that I had to mount the volume
r/w, duh... Anyway, if you havent manually mounted anything in a while, and
mistakenly try
mount -uw /dev/sd0a

it fails with a very non helpful message about the device being unknown. It
would be _much_ more helpful if it mentioned that I had forgotten to
include a mount point.

I finally got it, changed the fstab, and guess what, still no good.

fsck -? /dev/sd1a is hard wired into /etc/rc.  Is there a reason for this?

Once I fixed this, the only remaining thing is that even though fstab says
that /dev/sd0a is a ufs volume, dmesg says it is ffs. I don't know if this
is or will cause problems, but I'd be more comfortable if it were
consistant.

All in all this is much more fun than in MacOS where you just hook em up
and they work. Who would want that ;)

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614