Subject: Quadra 840AV
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/02/1997 13:11:04
I just got an 840AV to replace the IIci I was using for a MacBSD machine at
work.  (Wish I could take the ci home to replace my old cx. . .)  I'll find
out soon enough what does and doesn't work on it, but I'd like some advice
and information.

My standard booting OS is 7.1, but this machine is too new to be supported.
Should I upgrade to 7.5, 7.5.1, 7.5.3, 7.5.5, or 7.6.1?  I know this is
sort of a who-cares kind of issue but I only know that 7.5+ is a lot
bigger/slower on the older hardware with no detail.

Since there has been a lot of work on the newer Mac's since 1.2.1 I expect
I should install -current.  Any dissenting opinions?

I recall a post that said the 840Av was one of the few Mac's with true DMA.
I presume that is not yet supported, true?

I'll gladly help with development, at least by test-booting kernels and
running hardware probes on request.  The main caveat is that my charge
numbers start getting dinged $50/month for the network connection so I need
a work justification for having the machine around now.

If I can get the public FTP mirror of puma going again I will.  It should
be a bit more useful with the extra disk space I now have.