Subject: Re: monitoring stuff
To: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/01/1997 07:51:06
     Hi Adrian,

>Being somewhat paranoid, but mostly curious, I would like to have some
>sort of monitor that will sit there in X and note all incoming connections
>(telnet, ftp, etc.) Anyone know of anything like this?

We've installed the TCP-wrappers package at our site. It allows you to log
all incoming connections via syslogd, and, not only useful for the paranoid,
lets you filter incoming connections, allowing only those you want (e.g.,
only from sites that have visible DNS entries). For what you like, i would
set it up as follows:
1. compile the wrapper routines to log via AUTH_LOG
2. install the wrapper program as described in the README, using the setup
   you prefer.
3. configure syslogd to log auth.info to a dedicated file
4. upon starting X, have it open an Xterm window running a tail -f on that
   file.
5. use cron to refresh the file regularly (rename it, create a new file, and
   kill -HUP syslog-PID).
6. Of course, set up /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/host.deny to allow only those
   connections that you want.

The TCPwrappers package is available from ftp.cs.tue.nl.

Best wishes,

         Nico

--
  Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
  hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg