Subject: Re: Help please.
To: Jason <jhsterne@mindspring.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/30/1997 13:02:21
Jason wrote:

> On 29-Sep-97 tcjam wrote:
> >This isn't true since I know some LCIII users have used 1.2.1 and I have
> >used it on a P460 (LCIII clocked to 33mhz).
> >

> Even NetBSD 1.2 will run on an LCIII (well, P450 -same thing) with
> the right kernel.  There are at least 3 - GENERICSBC-26, ADBTEST#160 (I
> think) and GENERICSBC-9
>
> I've never even tried 1.2.1 or -current since 1.2 runs really
> well on my P450 (it is much more stable than my linux-pmac box!)

I think that you're a little confused here.  The 1.2 release kernel (i.e.
netbsd12 off of ftp.netbsd.org or its mirrors) will _not_ run on an LCIII
(well, except with a serial console).  If you are not using this kernel,
then you are not really "running NetBSD 1.2" (instead, you are using 1.2
binaries mismatched with a NetBSD-current kernel, something which is not
recommended).

All of the kernels you list above are some version of a NetBSD-current
kernel, probably NetBSD 1.2C, although GENERICSBC#9 might be 1.2A or 1.2B.
All of these kernels have a lot of functionality in them that was not
present in the 1.2 release kernel.  In order to avoid a lot of problems
that are often noted here, you should really run a set of binaries which
are matched to these kernels.

I hope this clears things up a little bit :-)

Later.