Subject: current or generic?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/27/1997 15:52:36
I have a IIvx, i just had to reformat and reconfigure my machine (not
finished yet).
should i run generic tarballs (i.e. 1.2, 1.2.1, etc.) or should i run
NetBSD-current?
i'd like to use a way that would make my system be able to use IP-NAT
(route ethernet over pppd on tty00), color X (whenever intvid comes out),
etc. which do i need?

does anyone know whether -current even works on a IIvx? i heard of some
machines having backward-compatibility problems.

i went ahead and installed netbsd on a zip disk as a backup emergency disk.
didn't think of that before.

i decided that my machine needed to use the sbc kernel genericsbc#26 (more
stable - doesn't get me any annoying panics), and now have proc size
mismatches among some binaries. i looked at the FAQ, and it explains how to
update the binaries: ftp to ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-current/src/
and get the src, enter the directories, and "make". unfortunately, the
Makefiles that they contain look wierd, and my machine will not compile the
source with a generic "make". i get the error (for "w"): "make: don't know
how to make fmt.c. Stop".

how do i make this ps statically linked? gcc complained about the
__RCSID("$NetBSD......"); lines near the top of the *.c's, so i uncommented
them out and it seemed to compile fine (what are those for, anyway?). (just
not statically linked)

having upgraded to 1.2.1 of NetBSD from 1.2 (for no apparent reason - just
compatibility with new stuff), pico now reverses text (white on black) and
does some funny things with delete, like not erase the characters, and just
move the cursor. anyone know why it would do that? i'm going to get new
src, anyway, just thought it'd be cool to know why. :-)

also, is the X.11Mar95.tgz the latest X11R6 tarball? in other words, will i
need to upgrade it to use the color X server?

thanks,

  - a

 Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu
    ----<insert lame quote here>----