Subject: Re: A couple of issues
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/1997 19:49:27
>> (Sorry, not sure about the IIcx)

a IIcx looks just like a IIci, and it does indeed have that manual power
button in the mac, fyi.

>Once again, I don't get it....on all of these machines, none of this
>should be necessary.  Under NetBSD, if you have a softpower machine (i.e.
>a II-series Mac or the tower Quadras, I believe), when you do a
>'shutdown -h now' it should powerdown the machine.  It certainly does so
>on my machine.  On non-softpower Mac's (i.e. the Classic style Mac's,
>LC's, and pizza-box Quadra's), NetBSD _will_ put up a notice that it is
>safe to switch off the machine.
>
>If you're machine(s) is/are not doing this, then you've found a bug
>(albeit, a somewhat known one).  Please send a PR about it.  However, it
>is safe to manually power off a machine even if it has hung during a
>'shutdown -h' as long as the disks have finished syncing.  If the disks do
>not sync, it might be better to reboot, run fsck, do a 'reboot -n', and
>then shutdown from the MacOS.

since what version has this function been enabled? it doesn't work with
GENERIC#1 1.2 on my IIvx, and i don't think it works with GENERICSBC#26
either. i get a nice message on the screen (just exited netbsd, hasn't
cleared the screen yet or anything) that tells me that the system is safe
to shut off now. i'll try some other kernels, see if they do the same
thing. i never got the machine to softpower itself down while in NetBSD. it
does in MacOS, though.

later,

  - a

 Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu