Subject: Re: routed error
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/25/1997 21:09:54
On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> Will your network be very complicated? Being a router (something which
> links multiple IP nets together) can be done w/o routed. routed just
> automatically updates the routing table. If it's simple, like
>
> ae0	local_IP_Address
> ppp0	other_end_of_ppp_pipe (and default route)
>
> Then you don't need routed AFAIK (after all, it is routed, not routerd :-).

Yeah, I've even got a slightly more complicated network going without
routed:

ed0   local network with a few Macs and PCs
ppp0  demand dial PPP to my ISP (default route to rest of the world)
ppp1  demand dial PPP to my employer's internal network (static route to
      their network block)

with NAT and stuff setup too. So whenever I want to connect out to the
Internet, the router dials my ISP for me. Whenever I connect to a machine
at work, the router dials work. Unix (and NetBSD) rules :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++