Subject: Re: uninstalling
To: David Brownlee <>
From: Benoit MARTEL <>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/15/1997 22:39:36
On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	'tar tzf packagefile.gz | xargs rm'
> 	Will probably still leave directories, but thats fine :)

On most UNIX systems that will fail because you will get a command line
way too big (assuming a large number of files, as in the base121). I dont
remember trying it on NetBSD but I assume its the same.

You need to iterate instead of removing all at once. I dont know much csh
but here's how I would do it in ksh or bash:

  tar tzf base.tgz | while read; do rm $REPLY ; done

If you have perl it's even better to do something like:

  tar tzf base.tgz | perl -n -e 'chop; unlink($_)'

because you dont spawn a new process for each file you remove. The same
process calls the unlink system call several times.

Good luck.

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.