Subject: Re: PAP in ppp, help!
To: Keith Jolley <kjolley@qualcomm.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/1997 16:56:31
> I have a related question that I have not seen in the FAQ's. Please
> point me in the correct direction if I have missed it. My question
> is what how to handle a dynamically assigned ip address. What do I
> put in my /etc/hosts file for my local (dialup) machine, and what are
> the chat/pppd arguments? The only thing I've seen on this is a note
> saying: "...this probably won't work with dynamically assigned addresses."

The above was refering to dial-on-demand.

What do you want to do with your dynamic IP address? It really doesn't
matter if it's in /etc/hosts or not. All the services/setups for which
you'd want that address/name WON'T WORK w/ a dynamic address.

Like sendmail. You really need to have your return address on your ISP's
mail server, since you won't be back at this address for a while.

I just added my machine's pet name, "pokey", to /etc/hosts on the
same line as localhost. So "pokey"'s IP address is 127.0.0.1.

Basically it's one of those things which we're used to having to set for
dedicated, Ethernetted machines, which we just don't need to fuss with
for a dynamic address.

Take care,

Bill