Subject: Re: NetBSD version 1.2.1 download from the internet.
To: None <n_bisson@oz.plymouth.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/1997 22:59:37
Casey Bisson wrote:

> Jason Laws wrote:
> > I have installed NetBDS on an old Mac LCII and believe I have followed
> > the instructions correctly.   It doesn't work!   What have I done
> > wrong??   The following describes my machine, what I have done and the
> > screen from boot time
> [stuff cut]
>
> > Can you please help me with this.   'mrg: setup_egret: done.' was the
> > last line of output I received.
> >
> > Jason Laws
>
> I think the answer you'd receive from some of the more experienced
> members of the list is:
> The NetBSD 1.2.1 feature-set was completed without support for the LC
> series. Support was added soon after, so check out the -current kernels
> and keep trying.
>
> An LCII, however, may not give very satisfying performance, as it is a
> 16mhz machine using only half of its bus-width (16bits).

Actually, 1.2.1 _did_ support the LCII and LCIII, or at least they were
supposed to do so.  That's about the only mac68k-specific difference
between 1.2 and 1.2.1.

However, the problems seen here are with the adb support.  Either the
user was moving the mouse or typing on the keyboard when he booted, or
else there is simply a problem with adb support on that machine.  Do you
have any unusual ADB hardware?

I'd try a much more recent -current kernel if the above doesn't work.
John Wittkowski's latest HWDIRECT? kernel should work just fine on the
LCII, as should any kernel compiled w/o 'options MRG_ADB' (there are
several on ftp.netbsd.org in the kernels directory, check the README for
which ones).

I hope this helps.

Later.>