Subject: Re: FREE SOFTWARE !!!
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/1997 21:01:31
On Sun, 31 Aug 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> One of the main reasons I prefer NetBSD's approach (of filtering certain
> addresses rather than having closed lists) is what happens when someone
> cross-posts. If someone posts to both a list I'm on and a list I'm not on,
> then I can reply and everyone sees my response.
>
> All the mklinux lists are closed. In the same situation, my post to the
> other lists bounces. Having a post bounce in such a situation makes me
> unhappy, and generally makes me not want to contribute to the mklinux
> lists.

That's why, whenever I cross post something to port-mac68k and say...
mklinux-setup, I always begin with an apology....  :-)

It was mentioned that the offending site didn't even have a valid DNS
entry....  I know that the newest sendmail (with some config file changes)
allows you to bounce messages with fake domain names in the from: field
(though I've tried and tried without success to get this to work...).
Would that be possible for these lists, or would the added overhead be too
much for the netbsd.org mail server?

And on that note, has anyone gotten that to work?  I must be doing
something wrong, and it must be pretty obvious, but I don't have any
idea....  I tried adding one web page's patch to the end of sendmail.cf
(or is it conf), and sendmail choked.  Anybody?

David