Subject: Re: FREE SOFTWARE !!!
To: Howard S Shubs <hshubs@mindspring.com>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/1997 18:52:56
At 4:30 PM -0500 8/31/97, Howard S Shubs wrote:

>> > How the heck did -this- get into the list?  Isn't the list configured not
>> > to allow non-members to post?
>>
>>No, it is not configured that way.  This is a deliberate policy decision.
>>The idea is to make it easier for people who do not yet use NetBSD
>>to ask questions about a particular port before subscribing.
>
>And my position is that that policy decision is a serious mistake.  How
>often do we get posts from non-members?  Anyway, if someone can't be
>bothered to join the list for the time it takes to ask a question and get
>an answer, I can't be bothered to hear from them.  It's a good way to
>prevent spam, at least until we make them illegal in this country.  But
>that's politics.

i think the list should stay the way it is now. this is 1 spam message
every...how many months?

the current setup is appealing to users not subscribed to the list. more
users is a good thing.

we shouldn't be complaining, check out the last 4-5 issues of
computerworld, big companies getting hit by spam.

>>We do have a spam filter on the mail server, and I will be adding the
>>offending address to the filter today.
>
>Congrats, you've just added the one address you know won't be used again. :-/

unfortunately, that's practically true. when i replied to that email
message, i was given back an error of no such domain - that also is a
problem.

>By the way, your headers came through like this:

>>To: Howard S Shubs <hshubs@mindspring.com>
>>Cc: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG
>>Subject: Re: FREE SOFTWARE !!!
>>From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
>>Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 10:53:54 -0700
>>Sender: port-mac68k-owner@NetBSD.ORG
>
>Interesting first line there, huh?  How do we know you're you? :-,

try clicking on the "blahblahblah" button at the top of the message window.
it does provide other interesting information, like mail routes.

in this case, maybe the machine was running it's own SMTP server - i don't
know.

either way, if you had mail problems, you'd then send mail to root@machine,
or postmaster@domain. they'd fix stuff.

  - a