Subject: Re: ncrscsi + sbc
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/1997 09:09:50
Mike wrote (but sent to port-mac68k-owner ;-):
> and Colin Wrote:
> >I don't think that the SCSI controllers on the docks are any different
> >than whatever is on the motherboard.  Or does the dock use the mother
> >board controller???
>
> Well, besides the docking Duo's, the top-end Macs have always come with a
> 2-bus system. In the 68k world, this translates to the Quadra 950. The
> internal and the external busses are 2 entirely separate systems, with up
> to 7 nodes each. Can we have NetBSD use both an internal and an external
> hard drive, or as this never come up? Granted this is a Quadra, so we
> wouldn't have the need to use 2 different drivers, but I dunno if the
> existense of 2 busses poses an inherent problem.

Two busses is no problem with sbc or esp.  Ncrscsi was designed for just
one bus.  There's a minor issue actually using the second bus in the 900
and 950, but I think I know how to deal with that now.  The catch with
those is that the ADB and serial don't work.  Someone could run a hacked
kernel on them if they were able to configure the disk on another system
or from the MacOS.

I think I'll be getting a 950 shortly--we'll see if I can get it running
(the two scsi busses will be the easy part ;-).

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com