Subject: Re: bad system call revisited
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/1997 01:14:31
>Looks fine. Is the error in or after the swapctl command? The next

>line's umount -a >/dev/null 2>&1 on my i386 (which is a little old,
but

>with swapctl support).

>You might try re-installing just swapctl & friends. You can do it by
booting

>single user, mounting read-write, and doing a partial tar extraction.

Hi again, Bill,

I just tried cpin'ing the base & "tar -xvf base ./sbin/*" to re-do the
entire /sbin directory. During the extraction, it spit out that it
couldn't extract the link from swapon to swapctl because the file
existed. I renamed the file & manually created the link, hoping that we
had just switched something with that. Unfortunately, I still dump out.
Here's what I see from swapctl:

device at priority 0

automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.

Usage: fsck [-dfnpy] [-b block] [-c level] [-m mode] filesystem ...

path to shell or <<return> for sh:

</paraindent>

It seems that the boot script is screwing up how to call fsck, which is
dumping out. What file is it taking its cues from at that point?

Thanks again for all your devotion,

Mike

ps, previously, I did a "mount -u /" followed by an exit to get me to
multiuser (after the aforementioned errors), then was reading some
files & man pages. At one point, it froze during a read on a man page.
Would that have been because of the fact that it hadn't booted
properly, or should I worry about it?

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.