Subject: Re: Mac IIsi problems
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/1997 15:03:05
On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > 	Well, the memory control panel doesn't show a setting for 32 bit
> > mode. That is what puzzles me. I'm running 7.6.1... I just installed the
> > drive last night, and installed 7.6.1 on it after I made the A/UX
> > partitions. Might it be that and a combination of swap space? I allocated
> > about 24 megs of swap.... I have the max of 17MB RAM...
>
> Hmmm. If you have 17 MB of usable MacOS space ( the OS isn't taking up
> like 9 MB of ram), then you have to have 32-bit addressing. W/ just
> 24-bit addressing, the max RAM in a IIsi is 10 MB (even if you have 65
> MB installed!).
>
> Maybe 7.6 only supports 32-bit addressing; you can't turn it off.
>
> You do have VM off, and no Ram Doubler, correct?
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

	Virtual Memory is off, and I don't have RAM doubler ;-) Also, the
About This Computer dialog shows only 3.6 MB used by MacOS of the 17MB.
But, I still get that error on bootup. It MAY be my video card, like
someone pointed out a few posts ago...

	Just popped it open, and it's a Radius PrecisionColor 8? I don't
have any documentation for the card, as it's a used machine, but that's
what it says above the connector ;-)

	Might it be causing the boot problems?

	Ryan

-----
My name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!